The President's Accomplishments
Here are 45+ accomplishments of President Barack Obama:
- Health Care Reform Bill, allowing children to remain covered by their parent's insurance until age 26.
- Tax cuts for up to 3.5 million small businesses to help pay for employee health care coverage.
- Tax credits for up to 29 million individuals to help pay for health insurance.
- Expansion of Medicaid to all individuals under age 65 with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level.
- Added 4.6 billion USD to the Veterans Administration budget to recruit and retain more mental health professionals.
- Significantly increased funding for the Violence Against Women Act.
- Lifted restrictions granting Cuban Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send remittances to the island.
- Eliminated subsidies to private lender middlemen of student loans and protect student borrower.
- Increased funding for national parks and forests by 10%.
- Significantly expanded Pell grants, which help low-income students pay for college.
- Expanded hate crime law in the US to include sexual orientation through the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.
- Provided stimulus funding to boost private sector spaceflight programs.
- Appointed nation's first Chief Technology Officer.
- Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans.
- Signed financial reform law requiring lenders to verify applicants' credit history, income, and employment status
- Signed financial reform law prohibiting banks from engaging in proprietary trading (trading the bank's own money to turn a profit, often in conflict with their customers' interests)
- Signed financial reform law allowing shareholders of publicly traded companies to vote on executive pay
- Cut prescription drug cost for medicare recipients by 50%
- Provided $12.2 Billion in new funding for Individuals With Disabilities Education Act
- Extended Benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees
- Appointed more openly gay officials than any other president in US history
- The American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009: a $789 billion economic stimulus plan
- Created more private sector jobs in 2010 than during entire Bush years
- Voluntary disclosure of White House visitors for the first time in US history
- Appointed first Latina to the US Supreme Court
- Promoted social responsibility through creation of serve.gov, a national database of volunteer opportunities
- Reversed 'global gag rule', allowing US aid to go to organizations regardless of whether they provide abortions
- Signed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, giving the FDA the authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, and sale of tobacco for the first time
- Signed New START Treaty - nuclear arms reduction pact with Russia
- Increased average fuel economy standards from 27.5mpg to 35.5mpg, starting in 2016
- Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, restoring basic protections against pay discrimination for women and other workers
- Provided travel expenses to families of fallen soldiers to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover AFB
- Reversed the policy of barring media coverage during the return of fallen soldiers to Dover Air Force Base
- Launched recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, providing transparency and allowing the public to report fraud, waste, or abuse
- Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs with more than $1.4 billion to improve services to America's Veterans
- Signed the Children's Health Insurance Reauthorization Act, which provides health care to 11 million kids -- 4 million of whom were previously uninsured
- Issued executive order to repeal Bush era restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research
- Signed the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, the first piece of comprehensive legislation aimed at improving the lives of Americans living with paralysis
- Developed stimulus package, which includes approx. $18 billion for nondefense scientific research and development
- Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act to stop fraud and wasteful spending in the defense procurement and contracting system
- Issued executive order to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay
- Ended Bush administration's CIA program of 'enhanced interrogation methods' by requiring that the Army field manual be used as the guide for terrorism interrogations
- Increased minority access to capital
- Established Credit Card Bill of Rights, preventing credit card companies from imposing arbitrary rate increases on customers
- Health Care Reform Bill, preventing insurance companies from denying insurance because of a pre-existing condition
There is more.
There are many more accomplishments, but we must not overwhelm our senses with all these things the President has not done.